The inaugural meeting of the Castleisland Gaelic Club was held in August 1885 at Millview, a short distance from the town. "There was a considerable assemblage present who showed the greatest enthusiasm to the days proceedings. The programme consisted of 16 events where there were close and interesting contests."Committee and Stewards: M.W. O Connor;C.Wrenn;E.O Connor;N.Quinlan;E.Hussey;J.P.Griffin;Terence Brosnan;T.Griffin;M.Mahony;R.Fitzgerald Judge and Handicapper-J.F.Crowley.(Kerryman article kindly supplied by Jim O Connor)
At various times different teams represented the town: The Lily Whites;Wolf Tones;Island Rangers;Castleisland.
Castleisland won the county senior championship in 1950. Those included were Willie Lyons;Jimmy McCarthy;Tadhg Prendiville;Con O Connor;Dermot Hanifin;Jerry O Sullivan(official);Jimmy O Connor(official) and Bill Coffey(official)
In 1951 the Desmonds club was reformed and remains to this day. The current field of 6 acres was purchased for £600.
The name of the club was derived from the old Fitzgerald castle owned by the Earl of Desmond. The club crest, designed by Gay Carthy, is based on the same theme.
We are the only club to have won both the Ladies (1980) and the Mens (1985) All Ireland Senior Club Championships.
We were RTE Celebrity Bainisteoir All Ireland winners in 2010.